Feb 06, 2023  
2019-2020 Employee Handbook 
2019-2020 Employee Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

13. Travel

 Return to: Employee Handbook Home   

13.1 General Policy

13.2 Procedure

13.3 Expense Report Guidelines

13.1 General Policy*

The University pays authorized travel and travel-related expenses for employees in one of two ways:

  • Reimbursement of funds paid by the employee.

  • Direct payment to a vendor for business-related services to the employee.

13.2 Procedure

It is the responsibility of the employee to make every effort to minimize travel expenses and:

Obtain Prior Authorization

All travel-related expenses must be authorized in advance by the one to whom the employee reports and the President. The employee must complete the Travel Authorization form, which can be obtained from Financial Services or the University network in the “Read-Only” drive under “Forms.”

Obtain Proper Documentation

Original itemized receipts for expenses must be submitted with the Expense Report to receive reimbursement. Only the back copy of the travel ticket (not itinerary) is acceptable for reimbursement of airfare. If electronic or E-ticketing is used, the e-mailed copy of the ticket must be submitted as proper documentation.

Submit Expense Report

The Expense Report Form may be obtained on the University network or from Financial Services.

  1. Fill out the Expense Report Form promptly. Even though travel has been authorized, it is essential that the Expense Report Form be submitted with original receipts for all expenses within 30 days of paying or incurring the expense.  If older than 30 day, CFO approval is required.
  2. Complete all required areas of the form.
  3. Attach all original receipts. (If a photocopy is used, the supervisor should sign the copy.)
  4. Attach a copy of the Travel Authorization form.
  5. Sign and submit form to your authorizing signatory.
  6. Report expenses for multiple trips on separate forms.

13.3 Expense Report Guidelines

Reimbursable Expenses

Reasonable cost for the following expenses will be reimbursed.

Single Hotel or Motel Accommodation

Reservations should be made far enough in advance to qualify for any group discounts.

Coach Rate Air Travel

It is the responsibility of the employee to make airline reservations. These reservations should be made for appropriate days of the week and far enough in advance to minimize air travel costs.


Mileage is paid to an employee for using his or her personal automobile on approved travel for the University. Charges for travel-related expenses such as tolls, parking, etc., on the most direct route of travel may be reported in addition to the authorized mileage. Mileage reimbursement will be made at the current rate.

Meals/Per Diem

Per diem for one person, and spouse when approved, will be reimbursed at the current rate. Meals are reimbursed at the current per diem rate for overnight travel.

Auto Rental

The University requires employees to use AVIS car rental when securing a rental car for business related travel. To make your reservation please go to: https://www.avis.com/car-rental/profile/go.ac?B501400. This has the corporate discount number already supplied and this account provides insurance coverage. Please do not elect the additional coverage suggested by the car company. For your protection in the event of an accident, please do not rent compact or sub-compact cars.

Taxi Fare

A receipt is required.

Convention or Registration Fees

Fees should be prepaid if this will reduce cost (receipt or a paid invoice is required).

Parking & Tolls

A receipt is required.

Non-reimbursable expenses
  • Fines for traffic violations and parking tickets
  • Costs associated with legal defense of moving violations
  • Alcoholic beverages and smoking materials
  • Airline cabin upgrades
  • In general, any non-business-related travel, entertainment, etc.
Personal Vehicle versus Commercial Travel

An individual who elects to drive her or his personal vehicle rather than use public transport for business-related travel will be reimbursed for actual miles driven at the current approved rate or an amount equal to airline coach fare, whichever is less.  Refer to the Travel and Business Related Expenses-Overnight policy.

Vehicle Insurance

In the event that an employee elects to use a personal vehicle to transport students or conduct University business, it is the responsibility of the employee to make sure that the vehicle is insured at the following minimums:

Bodily Injury $250,000/$500,000
Property Damage Liability $50,000
Medical Payments $5,000
Travel Time

When a non-salaried employee travels to a meeting, that employee will be paid at his or her base rate (no differentials) for the time involved. 

Reservation Cancellations

Any changes or cancellations of lodging, convention, or travel reservations should be done enough in advance to avoid “no show” charges. Should this not be possible through no fault of the employee, the University will pay such expenses if they are approved and initialed on the Expense Report by the authorizing signatory.

Mixed Business and Personal Travel

The University does not reimburse for personal receipts or per diem on personal days. Separate business from personal receipts. For IRS purposes, the business reason for the trip must be clearly stated and dated.

*Travel Policies

Please refer to all official travel policies at https://adventistuniversity.sharepoint.com/policies-and-procedures/Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx, as procedures are subject to change.